Safety Moment Guidelines
Safety Moment Guidelines
This site is all about sharing tips, stories and other Safety Moments — things you’ve witnessed or experienced. The idea behind the site is to share and help the community. Please respect the spirit of the site and do not send in stories that are meant to promote yourself, a product, a cause, a website, or anything else. One exception to this is that you can provide a link to your organization so people can learn more about you and your organization.
Safety Moment Submissions
- Moments you submit must be written by you or sourced elsewhere.
- If your Safety Moment involves other people, please just use first names to respect their privacy.
- You may submit more than one Safety Moment. After our publishing calendar is filled, we will limit the number of submissions.
- Safety Moments are posted at the discretion of My Safety Moment staff.
- Safety Moments may have been previously published in a magazine, website or blog— but cannot be an excerpt from a published book (and should not be used to promote a book).
Story Style & Length
- Safety Moments should be 500 words or less.
- Safety Moments must have titles. Titles should be 8 words or less.
- Check spelling, grammar & punctuation before submitting. Stories will be posted “as is.”
- Avoid using ALL-CAPS. It is considered rude and the equivalent of yelling.
- Safety Moments may not have links embedded in them.
- You may include a link to your personal or organizations website or blog at the end of your story.
- Include your name as you want it to appear in the byline.
- At this time images may not be submitted. However, this feature may be added in the future. When it is added, then the following Image guidelines will apply:
- You may include one image per story.
- Only JPG or GIF images may be used.
- Image dimensions should be between 150×150 and 300×300 pixels.
- If your image includes living people, you must have their permission before submission.
- It is best to include only images you own, however, if the image is not your own, you must have usage permission and cite the image source at the end of your story.
Before sharing your Safety Moment, make sure you’ve included:
- Your name as you want it to appear in the byline.
- The name of and link (URL) to your blog or website. If you don’t have a blog or website, only your name will appear in the byline.
Once your story is posted on the site, there are several ways to share it with family and friends.
- You can click on the CleanPrint button and you will have options to:
- Share it on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+,
- Print it on a local printer or a Google printer,
- Save it as a PDF to your Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box.net account, or
- Email it to someone.